I had to get this out there and I know it's not 'safe' to post on the internet but I figure if I leave all names out things will be okay.
Grade 8 students. First year of high school. Second term. Names have been changed.
Simon walks into my room in the middle of lunchtime and asks, sheepishly, if he could hide out with me in my classroom. I tell him yes, of course, and then ask him what's going on. "Two guys are after me miss" he replies, worry all over his face, "they want to beat me up."
"Why?" I ask, not puzzled at all but putting on the face. Even though this boy is a sweet kid, he has the tendency of provoking people.
"Jack thinks that I'm spreading a rumour about him that I'm not. I only found out the rumour and asked a friend if it was true or not. My friend then told Jack that I was spreading the rumour and now he wants to beat me up." Simon explained, slinking down into one of the desks closest to the door.
"Then stay in here." I reply, getting worried. I know this Jack kid. I teach him and even though he's harmless, the people he hangs out with aren't so harmless.
A few moments later Ralph and Eric show up to talk to Simon and hang out with him. Simon says he'll leave with them. I tell the boys to stick together and tell Sam and Eric to stick with Simon. They agree. I also ask Ralph and Eric to tell Roger and his friend Jack that I want to see them right away and to come to my room. They agree and all the boys leave.
A few moments later Simon returns. "They ditched me miss!" he groans, and sits back down. I said that it's all right, he can stay in my room until we get this sorted out.
A few minutes later, Ralph and Eric return and say that they have found Roger and Jack. What they told me next was something I thought I'd only hear about on TV or through "friends of friends".
They boys had found Jack and Roger and had approached them saying that I wanted to talk to Jack. Jack asked why, and Ralph and Eric shrugged. Next thing they knew Roger has pulled a filleting knife from nowhere and is pointing it at Ralph and Eric. "If you tell anyone where we are, we're going to stab you!" he says, jabbing the knife at them. He then passes the knife to Jack, and Jack also threatens the boys with it, saying that if they tell anyone the rumour about him he will stab them. He pauses for a moment, then says "Nah, I'm only joking. Maybe."
Ralph and Eric swear they won't tell anyone, and hightail it back to my classroom and inform me of what happened. They don't seem aware of what actually transpired and how serious the event was. They were threatened with a knife!
All the proper procedures were followed after that point. Luckily they recovered the knife and it turns out Roger is in a lot of trouble all ready. Jack and him both might be getting the boot.
Overall, I am still stunned that one of my students pulled a knife on two of my other students. Overall though, which I found odd, was I got this very protective urge going. I felt this rage building and wanted to go out and find Jack and Roger and give them a taste of their own medicine. I didn't though. I would have been fired. ;)
I know when I was in high school this stuff happened, heck one of my close friends was taken to Penetang Jail for carrying a concealed weapon. But he never threatened anyone with it... especially not in Grade 8!!!
Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? Does this stuff happen often? What the hell is wrong with kids these days?
Also, points to whoever picks up my English teacher-ness.
2012 End of the Year Writing Wrap Up
13 years ago

2 comments:
Good choice on the names, your EnglishTeacherness ;) *bows*
It's scary to see things like this happening at all, but perhaps moreso when we consider the age of the people involved. I don't know that I can say what causes these situations, what plants the notion that this behaviour is a good idea. I certainly don't think it's violence in the media or any of that nonsense. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's a combination of lax parenting, and that concept that seems to have sprung up recently that we can't tell kids 'no'. Granted, I'm not a parent or a teacher, but it seems to me that kids need structure, boundaries, and consequences. And I think it's more effective if it's enforced all the time - not just at home, or just at school. It takes a village, right?
I think you handled it well - not that it means much coming from a non-teacher, but I've always respected your ability to manage the crazy situations that seem to befall you. *loves*
And the school insanity begins.
Congrats on diffusing what could have been a very dangerous situation.
I think you should write a book about your adventures... of course not all after the first year. Between you and I, we'd have the whole field of teaching case studies covered. You have the violence and I'll take the rumours and sexual harassment section. Throw in a bit of teenage rebellion and we'll have a best seller on our hands!
Miss you lots!
Post a Comment