Sorry for the lack of updates everyone but I am almost 90% internet-free in Gisborne. To check my email I have to go to the only internet shop in town and at $2/20 min, the cost adds up quickly. I guess it helps me focus more on what I SHOULD be doing here: lesson planning and preparing to teach.
As the title of this post states, I am in lovely Gisborne. It is on the far east coast of New Zealand's Northern Island. It's a beautiful little city with one main strip for shopping and the ocean a two minute walk from my doorstep... literally. Our landlord timed it, and she doesn't walk that fast. It would be a lovely place to stay and live except for the lack of young professionals and the highest cancer rate in the country due to the paint or supplies they use to build their houses. Oh, and the sun of course, because it's pretty much always sunny in Gisborne.
I am ready to come home for Christmas now, as most of the teacher college kids are. We're done with school and, let's face it, we haven't been to school this much since graduating high school. I guess I shouldn't complain though, this is the rest of my life.
I went for a school visit/impromptu interview at a really nice school in Whakatane, about a three hour drive west of here. There's an active volcano there, how cool is that? Anyways, fingers crossed for the job I guess... the thing is, there are SO many jobs for teachers here that there is an actual shortage of English teachers. A SHORTAGE! So, yeah, if you want to travel for a couple of years and see and experience New Zealand, come! There's a job waiting for you with tons of support.
It's hard to believe that I have two and a half months left and I am officially a teacher. As well, I'll be coming home at the end of November, so I want to start planning seeing people asap. I'll be home for six weeks so hopefully I'll be able to see everyone in that time. I really do miss you all. I'm very excited to move back there forever actually.
I am taking lots of photos and videos of New Zealand and I'm sorry for not writing to anyone but things are just so hectic and busy. When I have a spare moment I'll do my best to get off as many postcards as possible.
Congratulations to Tabetha and Geoff. I wish I could have been there, but you looked like you had a fantastic day.
I'll hopefully update soon, but as for now I have to go teach comparative essays to a year 12 (grade 11) class.
Yay.
2012 End of the Year Writing Wrap Up
13 years ago

2 comments:
visit me, visit me! :)
I'm teaching Grade nine open art, grade nine academic English and Grade 11 painting and drawing. I love it!
So, if you are going to be home in November... yay! We'll get together - if you travel down here to Sarnia area you can stay in the spare room! :) I can show you photos, my school, etc. We are well over-due for a long talk!
No, visit MEEEE! ;) Srsly, I'll coming into Toronto though, if necessary. I miss you and it'll be great to have you back with us!
Post a Comment