Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Teaching Life...

Thanks for those comments guys, I really appreciate it!

So, being a teacher trainee, I have all ready seen a few ups and downs, the highs of teaching and the very lows. Today was something a little different.

In my Year 10 class (Grade 9) the boys are writing speeches in the format of informal essays. Now, the class is an average-low level class (and possibly my favourites) that are known for being troublesome. They are, but I have a good report with most of them so it's all right. Well, there are a couple of boys who surpass the rest of the class in academic/wrting ability and have already completed the rough draft of their essays. So you can gain perspective on the level of the class... it's been over a week since we have started the essay, and they have had 4 whole periods to work on it. Everything is laid out in front of them about what to write, etc. and here are the stats:

Three students haven't started
10 students are still on their first paragraph
10 students are on their second (or starting their third) paragraph
Four students are finished/writing their conclusion

And every class I have spelled out what they have to write for them. I'm making it too easy I think. My method is to write a speech along with them, which I then use my individual paragraphs to show them what they're writing next and how.

Anyways, I took the four boys out who were finished/nearly finished into the hall and told them that I would edit their essays for them, give them tips on giving a speech, etc. They wanted to hear me read my speech, so I agreed and began my speech. In the middle of it, all I hear is "hhhgulp!" I look over, and one of the students looks at me, panic on his face...

"Miss, I think I just swallowed my pen."

And he did. Well, a piece of it. I couldn't help myself, I just burst out laughing. This got him laughing too, dispite his bewilderment. I went and got the teacher and the boy was sent home, but... oh man, poor kid. He's fine and he could breath so everything was okay. Oh man, I don't htink I've had that much of a giggle in a long time.

Ahh, just one of the many stories I hope to have in my time as a teacher...

In other news, I'm going to go see Romeo and juliet by a Young Shakespeare Company. They are teenagers who perform Shakespeare, so I am really looking forward to the whole thing!

Well, that's it for now. I'm saddened that Brian has to come home, but happy that he can relax and recoup and get well again. Obviously something is terribly wring if he keeps getting so sick. Congrats to Larkin and Akira on their engagement! So many people getting engaged... I hope everyone keeps me updated as to when these weddings are, because I WILL be home for them!

I also found out today that my year 12s (Grade 11) think that New Zealand is too PC. I dared them to come to Canada.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah hahahaha - nice. :) Sorry I haven't e-mailed you back. I just read my hotmail account. (I use my gmail account now)... I have quite a few teaching stories to tell you! :) Either way - my first year is finishing up and I'm back on the supply listing. It's too bad you won't be here for the wedding - it would have been great. If you come back to Canada, we'll HAVE to get together for a day or two (at least) to talk! Miss you lots!