Friday, August 31, 2007

Bessie Louise Fisher (Kee), 1922-2007

Everyone believes their grandma to be the best in the world. Mine truly was. She taught me things that I would never have known except for her; like how to stick your tongue out at people, or how to travel at a young age without your parents, or how to make the most delicious desserts in the world. She was a smart, caring, laid back woman of grace. She wasn't afraid to get down on the level of us grandchildren and treat us like kids. We weren't expected to grow up around her... and boy, did she have a knack for spoiling us rotten. I remember that she would always cut my apples a certain way. The would begin a peel at the top of the apple and make a continuous string of peeling until the very bottom. The apple would be fully peeled and a perfect shell of apple left behind... a miraculous accomplishment, I assure you, and those things have a tendency to break very easily. Trust me, I've tried to copy her on more than one occasion.

My Grandma adored all her grandchildren and was happiest when the entire family was together. Our family loves to play cards and euchre and cribbage usually took the cake. My grandma was the most devious card player and would openly cheat like no tomorrow, and blame it on her ignorance. This one time, she was playing euchre with my Dad and Uncle Dale. She reneged on a play and when this was pointed out, she said "oops" and picked up the card that won the hand instead of her own card. My Dad and Uncle of course caught on, but were too busy laughing at her scheme to continue the game. I think this is where my Uncle and cousin got their hatred of losing any game.

She got a very rare form of cancer; so rare that only one out of one million people ever get it and there has been only 57 documented cases in the history of knowing of the disease. Chemo failed. We were going to try radiation but she was too week by that point. She knew that she would die. We stopped treatment at the beginning on August. This rare cancer is so fast and aggressive that less than two weeks later it had spread from her leg, to her lymph nodes, to her back, to her stomach. I got to celebrate my 23rd Birthday with her. I got to speak with her while she was fully awake. Last Saturday she took a down hill turn and was bed ridden. She was conscious, but in a lot of pain. The morphine worked some of the time. She couldn't open her eyes, she could barely move, but she heard everything that was said to her. Last Tuesday, August 28th, I was lucky enough to say my last goodbyes to her. Never before had I been able to do this to a loved one who has passed away. She understood everything and held out for my cousin and uncle and aunt to come the next day. She saw them in her own bed with her entire family surrounding her, and they were all there for her when her breathing became troubled and shallow. She no longer took sips of water.

My Aunt was supposed to pick me up that night from work. Instead, I walk outside to see my Dad and Uncle waiting for me. I knew it was too late. I knew she was gone.

The memorial service is tomorrow. My grandma requested that I sing Amazing Grace at her funeral, and I will. today the entire family gathered for what would be the second last time we are all together again and prepared for tomorrow's service. My grandma was the glue of this family, the only remaining piece that kept bringing us all back together again. The sad part is... my family tried to have monthly poker tournaments so we see each other more often. I had never been to one, as I always was working or in North Bay. I begged, pleaded, and lied to get out of this Saturday. No longer is it a poker tournament, but her funeral.

So I ask those of you with grandparents still remaining to love them no matter what, to see them when you can, and appreciate them for who they are and what you can learn. I am in charge of my grandma's famous dessert recipes. I am unsure if they will ever be made with the same lover, courage, modesty, grace, and caring ever again.

So, to you Grandma, I say thank you. Thank you for your love, patience, and time. We will miss you dearly.

Rest In Peace.

Love, your granddaughter.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

3 comments:

J.D said...

*big hugs* I'm so sorry to hear about this. She sounds like a truly awesome person and it sounds like you have some great memories of time with her - spunky older people rock. ^_^

If there is anything you need, please let me know. I <3 you.

Sparky said...

Oh Hun. *big hugs from everyone in the Sparky Camp*. We'll send some good thoughts your way.

And there's still a poker tourny going on this weekend, it's just at a different place, with different people... And I bet your gramdma's taken 'em for all they're worth.

*more hugs*

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah - Geoff and I send our thoughts and prayers. Your entry was wonderful, and it is those great memories that will keep her close to your heart even in the darkest of times.
As it is now a few days past this entry I am sure that you sang beautifully and your grandmother appreciated it to the fullest extent of her being.

Love is patient; love is kind
and envies no one.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
never selfish, not quick to take offense.
There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.