Last summer I read four two Jane Austen novels in preparation for the Jane Austen course I took last fall. It was the first time I had ever read anything Austen and it definitely was not the last. This summer I continue, what is turning out to be, my sumer of Austen as Mansfield Park is being devoured at the moment. Her work continues to astound me (though, I have to admit, I am anxious to dive into my brand new copy of The Golden Compass) as I read every page and learn of every one of her characters. From the passive yet internally compelling Fanny Price to Mrs. Norris who should be kicked very, very hard, Austen has awoken the writer in me that I haven't had any contact with since high school.
Okay. So what?
There's a young man (well, 27) who I have had a little crush on since I watched The Last King of Scotland in January. He also played Mr. Tumnus in The Chronicles of Narnia, Rory O'Shea in Inside I'm Dancing, and Brian in Starter for Ten. A bio pic was just released this month entitled Becoming Jane and who should play the main love interest, Mr. Tom Lefroy? This same man, James McAvoy. My God this man can ACT!
So with my awe of James and my love of Austen, I have found one of the most perfect movies in the entire world. You must all go see it! All of you. The movie is my favourite of the entire summer, with Knocked Up coming a close second.
Okay, so enough about that. Two of my three work places are currently filled with drama. I think it's funny how after only a couple of months of work, come September 12th, I will be fourth from the top as far as seniority goes. How awesome is that? There's not much drama at my third job, unless one of the kids spills something or loses a game.
It's funny how people accuse children of being childish (duh) and wanting them to "grow up" of whatever... but I find that as an adult, this is when all the childishness comes to a head. I mean, high school is HORRIBLE for childishness, University is sometimes not any better, but then when you get out into the "real world", the "adult world", you have an expectation of no longer having to hear/see/deal with this stuff. Alas, no. It doesn't work like that. No matter where you go or what you do there will always be drama. So I guess the only way to deal with it is grab some popcorn, sit back, and watch... and DON'T become part of the plot.
I work every day until September so I won't be online much, especially next week since I'll be doing double shifts every day. Tomorrow I am off to a travel agency I was told about. I hope they can get me awesome rates on a flight to New Zealand. Prices just seem to keep going up. Oi.
2012 End of the Year Writing Wrap Up
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment