Thursday, April 26, 2007

Home Again

So, I'm officially back home, and already I am missing my friends. Megs, hurry your ass down here so we can hang out and go for coffee!

Next week will be my job hunting adventure! Chapters and PJ's Pet Store for starters, and I've got a few government jobs to apply for as well.

I had an interesting thing happen this week that is now taken care of, and I feel a lot better for it, despite sacrificing a few things. But eh! Time to move on. I'm just really excited for New Zealand now...

And this is my official open invitation to most of my friends. The plane ticket IS expensive, but I offer a free place to stay and free food (when we eat at my place). Most of you are invited, definatly the ones I've talked to. It's expensive... but it's also cheaper than going to NZ on your own!

I was talking to Professor Winters about New Zealand, and here are a few interesting cultural facts she shared with me:

1. There is no central heating. Apparently in the winter you can wake up FREEZING, and even see your breath in your own room.
2. Most people go everywhere in bare feet. Even to the pubs. BARE FEET EVERYWHERE.
3. There is a larger drinking culture over there. People drink much more than they do in Canada... it's like at every meal you have a beer or something. Well, I think besides breakfast.
4. There's no dating... or if there is, it's rare. Apparently you just have to let things happen.
5. People are extremely laid back! You just have to go with the flow.
6. The Southern Island is better than the Northern Island. Better scenery, more things to do, etc. I think Prof. Winters was just a little biased though. ;)
7. The humour is most definatly British. Monty Python, Black Adder... that sort of thing. She told me I wouldn't find much SNL over there. THANK GOODNESS!

I asked her about the high school culture over there. She said that she didn't have enough experience to deside if what I had been told was true. Apparently the kids have less respect for authority in New Zealand, Prof. Winters thought it's most likely the same... more so even, as she doesn't think there is the same inner-city problems that we have in Toronto, and what not.

So, I'm excited about going over. Until then, however, I have nine months to work and do as I wish with. So, here's the list of things I wish to do/try/accomplish:

1. Learn basic French. I have the VERY basics down (simple conversation, numbers, etc.) but I want to have a working handle on it.
2. Participate and finish Script Frenzy in June.
3. Visit as many NB friends as possible, incuding road trips, camping weekends, etc.
4. Save up my goal of $10,000 to bring to NZ with me. I'll be happy if I hit $8,000.
5. READ. Read so much my head falls off. Not just fiction either, but non-fiction: especially New Zealand history, as I will be teaching it in schools while I'm on placement.
6. Get all the paper work done for my trip to NZ.
7. Get back in to my excercise routine. I have this diet book that looks like a GOOD diet book, none of this "lose 20 pounds in 6 weeks!" crap. I'm also going to start running every day or so, with one day a week as my "vacation" day.
8. Join a club, class, something to keep my mind busy. I want to keep learning and I don't want my brain to break down on me.
9. Get video editing software and practice, practice, practice. I will be setting up a YouTube account for my travel blogs for New Zealand to show you all back here what's going on over there.

And that's about it for now. Lol, that's a lot...

2 comments:

J.D said...

Oh goody, I'm not the only person with a massive list of things to do this summer. My reading list alone is something like 40 books. Total English geek idea: start a long-distance book club. You know you wanna . . .

Oh, and when you have to party footage up on YouTube, drop me a line so I can sign up and whatnot. I'd love to see it again.

Anonymous said...

Where ARE YOu!?!? you've dissapeared off the face of the planet! call me! i miss you
megs