It seems that Canada has been added to the list of countries that are threatened by terrorism... for real this time. Does this shock anyone? I mean, I know there were threats once Harper deployed soliders, but this one really hits close to home. They were planning on bombing the Toronto subway system, and Chief Billy-boy won't tell us exactly when they were planning to do this, but he knows. I bet it was today. I bet they were going to attack the subways today.
Either way, this has me a little more than freaked out. These people were found in Pickering - 12 adults, 5 minors - with explosives. There were two men videotaping Keele station, looking under subway seats and stuff. And these people were born here...
You'd think that "once a Canadian, always a Canadian at heart" would fit here; but no. These people were planning to blow us up. What the hell did we ever do to them except give them a safe place to grow up, shelter, food, education, freedom from persecution... and how do they repay Canada? By blowing us up? Fuck... I can honestly see how/why treason is on the seventh layer of Dante's hell.
2012 End of the Year Writing Wrap Up
13 years ago

1 comment:
I have to say that I am a little surprised and shocked at your post on this issue... You have made several comments that, in my opinion, were very naive.
I feel that your statements are a good reflection of the poor attitude present among Canadians who feel that as a Canadian they possess a moral code that is higher than the rest of the planet. Your statement: "once a Canadian, always a Canadian at heart" implies that as Canadians we all have common beliefs.
First, what is important about being Canadian is that we recognize that people have other beliefs and moral ideals that may differ from our own but that that in no way makes other people wrong. While I am not defending the actions of "these people" I do not think it is safe to assume that there is not some kind of external factors that drove them to plan something so audacious. Never mind the fact that the particulars have not yet been released and we do not even know if they are all guilty. It seems to me that you have seen the word terrorism next to their arrest and automatically assumed their guilt. If I were you I would be equally concerned about how we as Canadians are so quickly becoming hardwired to react to buzz words like terrorism in the same manner as our neighbours to the south. Any person who is willing to trade freedom for security deserves neither. Perhaps we should wait until we hear more about what happened before we start complaining about how terrorism as you describe it has just arrived in Canada. Maybe it has always been here. Remember the FLQ anyone?
Second, you have also implied that as Canadians we treat each other with respect and without ageism, sexism, or racism. Your statement: "What the hell did we ever do to them except give them a safe place to grow up, shelter, food, education, freedom from persecution..." implies that everyone living in Canada has equal opportunity and enjoys the same benefits as everyone else. However, there are many historic cases where living in Canada and being a Canadian does not necessarily mean you were free from persecution. People in Canada have been and are persecuted every day for their beliefs, attitudes and even origins. All Muslims saw incredible backlash towards their beliefs and cultures after Sept. 11 including the ones in Canada. During the second world war Japanese Canadians were rounded up and sent to detention camps regardless of how long they resided in Canada or what they believed. This is to say nothing of the treatment of the Aboriginal people of Canada. To this day there are numerous attacks on all Canadians by Canadians. At the end of the day can you guarantee that those arrested truly had the benefit of the food, shelter, education and health care that you referred to?
I care about this country as well, but I think our greatest mistake is to assume that as Canadians we are invulnerable to the ills suffered by other nations. Do you not find it ironic that you take great umbrage to this news as a Canadian yet seem to display so little knowledge of what our true history is? Something to think about...
Post a Comment