Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Long and Winding Road...

What can I say? It's been a long couple of months. To describe all that has happened would be dull and mindless. I will, however, give you a brief run down of the important things.

#1. Classes.

This year I am taking, 20th Century Literature, Selected Topics in 20th Century Canadian History, American Literature, A History of the Modern World, Sociology of Education, and Creative Writing: Prose Fiction. Since it is nearly the end of the semester, I'm almost finished the Canadian History one... which is a Godsend. Now don't get me wrong, I love Canadian history, especially in the 20th Century, but the articles and books are draining any sort of love for the topic out of my system. I mean, I really don't care about homosexuality in the 1950s. Really.
As for the other courses, I like them. I definatly have to put more work into American Literature though, as I am missing out on the readings of some of the best works within modern times. I mean, Emerson, Thoreau, Franklin! All had great ideas and I'm missing out, mostly due to laziness.
My favourite class at the moment is 20th Century Literature. Professor Phillips is an amazing teacher, I mean she is actually excited about what she's teaching us, something that is rare within the school (besides Prof. Plumstead of course). We've covered Yeats, Eliot, Joyce, Woolfe, Dadaism, and next semester we're doing Stoppard. It's such a fantastic course, I recommend it to anyone who has a love of literature.
Next Semester I begin Creative Writing: Prose Fiction, which I am incredibly excited about. The Professor, Stokes, even phoned me personally in order to tell me that I was registered. How cool is that? I've heard that people in his class have been published, so I can't wait for that.

#2. Ellie.

This is the saddest thing to happen within the past couple of years. My beloved dog, Ellie, had to be put down on November 1 due to diabeties. It was sudden, quick, and apparently painful for her, as within the last two weeks of her life she dropped 20 lbs. and began to go into convulsions near the end. We never knew she had diabeties, as 3 seperate vets had told us it was cushings disease/thyroid problems. It was sudden, very sudden. What troubles me further is that I was told three days later while sitting in a public restaurant. A public restaurant is not a good place to tell someone that their dog had died suddenly.
Either way, to make amends (there was guilt, as the last time I saw her was Thanksgiving, and not many other times before that since I moved away for university) I went and spent an ample amount of money on dog items/cleaning supplies and dropped them off at the local animal shelter. I got Ellie from a shelter, so I want to support them any way I can.

As for what is going on now? Good stuff mostly. I have an essay, a journal assignment, and two exams left before I'm officially on Christmas break. I am working at the LCBO for Christmas. A good thing concerning my writing has happened, and may bring further goodness (more word on this when I get confirmation), and I generally happy.

So, until next time, have a good night.

No comments: