About due, I think.
One more year in New Zealand for me... well, nine months now. Next December I will make my final return to Canada, only to leave again if it's to be a tourist. I will not live overseas again.
When I get back I hope to return to school to upgrade my BA to an Honours and them some. I will then take the summer off (well, as much as I can) and hopefully get a job for September. I may not neccessarily be teaching, but I will do something. I feel I'll have a foot in the door for teaching though as I will have two years experience under my belt AND...
I just got a promotion. I am the new Assisstant Head of the English Department here at the school I work at. It's temporary while our HOD goes on sabbatical, but still a nice thing to put on my resume... and only in my second year of teaching too!
I remember lamenting on here years ago about life plans. I'm glad I didn't go to Nip for my BEd. now. I'm glad I didn't stay in Canada. I'm also happy I get to return home and my plans for when I do are (sort of) in place. Besides school, I have enough money saved up to put a down-payment on a house. I will do so, then rent the place out in order to cover the mortgage. I will live with my grandma in the mean time until things are more settled. I figure if I can't look forward to a pension from a steady job, I may as well go ahead and begin getting my own retirement plan in place.
I want to do some more traveling. I have two trips on my "dream list" right now...
American Road Trip: Through Mass. NY, down to New Orleans, I want to cover some of the places where the greatest American authors were inspired. From the founding fathers to Tennessee Williams, I blame Professor Plumstead for getting me hooked in that American Lit course.
Ireland: Yup, my dream place to go. This one will wait as I want to enjoy every second of it. Maybe five years or so.
Other than that things are just chugging along. I miss home, I miss my friends, and I miss my family. I love New Zealand and I am enjoying my time here... but it's not home. It will never be home.
So... who wants to join me on a road trip next year?
2012 End of the Year Writing Wrap Up
13 years ago

3 comments:
ME! There must be roadtripping. I'm glad you're having a blast in NZ, but I can't wait for you to be home. :)
-Ducky
I knew I could count on you! Even if it`s just us Ducky, I am SERIOUS about this road trip! Next summer! For sure!!!
I would be there for a road trip with bells on if it weren't for some other pressing commitments - ie. wife and kids. Just read this entry now. Glad to hear that you are doing so well, and looking forward to your return as well!
Post a Comment