As for the research assignment, I was going to do option #7: World War I poetry. Unfortunatly, however, because it is the only modern option for the papers, everyone is doing it. Sir Gawian is an option, but Heather is doing that, so therefore I'm going with option #6. Here it is:
Although most obviously about a painter, Christina Rossetti's "In An Artist's Studio" can be read as a response to a whole tradition of male representation of women. Compare "In An Artist's Studio" with William Shakespeare's "Sonnet 18: Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"
Or, maybe I should just stick with the World War I poetry?
Wilfred Owen, who was killed one week before Armistice, wrote some of the most powerful poetry about the horrors of World War One. Develop a critical analysis of Owen's response to modern warfare in TWO of the following: "Dulce Et Decorum Est," "Insensibility," OR "Strange Meeting."
If I chose that option, I would doing the first two poems and it is more to my liking... I like the gritty dark stuff. Any suggestions?
So, over the Christmas I worked at the LCBO. Man, government jobs rock. $10/hour and lots of hours is really, really good for a student. They want me back for the summer, so I really can't wait for that... not that dealing with drunks is fun, or getting hit on by old men... or being called a variety of names after refusing service to underage asses with fake ids. It is fun to hold the power though. Hehe...
I've designated today as my cleaning day. My room shall be spotless by the time I'm to go to Tabetha's for our superheroes game tonight. Which is good, because messiness makes me unmotivated.

1 comment:
hmmm...well, if you decide on the WWI, http://www.whatalovelywar.co.uk is an excellent, and infomative site.
but, speaking as someone who recently had to mark a set of papers where slightly more than 2/3 of the papers were on one topic, there is something to be said for writing on an uncommon topic. I felt I was able to engage more with those papers (and was more excited to do so) because they were not the same as everything else.
Definitely want to see you when I come up to North Bay.
Post a Comment