Friday, February 29, 2008

Reporting from New Zealand

So my website is not constructing itself like I thought. It's more of a time issue though, I think, because who would have thought that teacher's college would be so busy? What with lesson plans, classes (27 hours per week!), and weekend parties and being a tourist... time is a hard thing to find.

Anyways, this is going to be one of those pointform "quick updates" people do and that I've never done. Here we go:

  • New Zealand is actually a pretty cool country and the people are fantabulous.
  • The Canadians are the largest minority at our school, with us making up 1/3 of the secondary stream class.
  • There are 80 - 100 people in our course... no wonder they're desperate for secondary teachers here.
  • Teaching is a lot harder than it looks. And a lot scarier.
  • Even half way across the world, I cannot escape Barrie. A guy I went to North with is here and is in three of my classes. Crazy!
  • Tim Tams are the cookies of the Gods. I will be sure to send some back home for people to try. They are deathly addictive... so chocolatey.
  • I'm going through Timmy's withdrawl.
  • I miss Canadian TV because my ip address hider isn't working. And we get 4 channels here... but Shortland Street is an amazing show! I *heart* Joey.
  • The theatre crowd in Christchurch is very warm and friendly. Everyone is conected, and I went and saw the New Zealand Colin Mocharie in a play on Monday. His daughter is in my Teaching Drama class. How cool is that?
  • Last night a group of us went and saw an improv show mixing Shakespeare with Resevoir Dogs. It's called "Pulp William". Very odd, very funny, very cool, very clever. I have a crush on one of the actors in it now.
  • My placement is in an all-boys highschool. Should I be worried?
  • Because of the way things work here, I am actually going to be qualified to teach English, History, and DRAMA!!! FINALLY! I'm going to be a drama teacher!! Very excited about that one.
  • I'm planning out my first break travel schedule. So far Dunedin, Invercargill, Lake Tekapo, Kaikoura, and Nelson are on the list.
  • I'm going to a wild foods festival next weeked. Eating bugs there is a must apparently.
  • And to Hamner Springs and Kaikoura the weekend. It'll be Easter here... and they get 5 days off in a row for Easter: Good Friday, Easter Monday, and Easter Tuesday. I think Canada should adopt this.
  • I've become addicted to the Maori Language. I love it. Ko ngati Kanata toku iwi. I am of the Canadian people.


    On a sadder note however, a guy I tutored in English several years ago (and whose older brother is one of my best friends) was in a very serious snow mobile accident a few days ago. He is currently in the ICU of St. Mike's in TO. I ask everyone, whether you are religious or not, to pray or send well wishings his way. Two broken legs with 13 breaks in each and a damaged spine... we're hoping for the best. Please take the time to send good thoughts for Jeff. Thank you.

    I'll write more soon, I promise.
  • No comments: